Here are some talking points you can use in your presentations or next dinner date.
These are intended to try and convince a more-techincal audience to adopt Lando. If you are interested in more business focused talking points, particularly if you are trying to convince an org to sponsor Lando then check these out instead.
- The purpose of Lando is to liberate developers to focus on their most important work by providing a single, easy to use tool they can use on all their projects regardless of tech stack, operating system or hosting provider.
- The general idea behind Lando is to
git clonea project, run
lando startand get everything you need to develop, test and deploy your project, this means not only the infrastructure to run your project but the tools to develop and test it as well.
- Lando is a development dependency management tool.
- Speed and Scale - Containers over VMs means each project can have its own dependencies and you can switch between them much much faster.
- Standarization - A single way for all your developers to interact with all your projects.
- Parity - Achieve parity with each projects hosting target.
- Tooling - Containerize tools along with services and lock down versions of things like
nodeon a project to project basis. Say goodby to things like
- VCS - Put your Landofile configuration in version control so it can be shared and tracked.
- Integrations - Integrate with hosting providers like Pantheon or Platform.sh.
- Sane defaults - Lando will give you recommended settings out of the box but it is hyper configurable. You can have a two line or two hundred line Landofile.
- Lando is designed to run any project you have
- Lando has built in build steps and event automation
- Lando has never raised money, and wont, so you know its grassroots shit
- Lando is the engine that powers other popular tools like Acquia's Dev Studio or Pantheon's Localdev
- Lando is the culmination of over 10 years of expertise in this space
- Lando is built on top of Docker Compose and functions as a Docker Compose abstraction layer, superset and utility.
- As a Docker Compose utility Lando handles some of the more tedious setup like networking, SSL, proxying, etc
- As a super set Lando provides ways for developers to run complex commands, build steps and automation on their services without the hassle of custom Dockerfiles or long "docker exec" commands.
- As an abstraction layer Lando vastly reduces the complexity of spinning up containers by exposing only the most relevant config for a given "service" and setting "sane defaults".
- Lando can also be overriden down to the Docker level so all its power is still available when needed.
- Over 11,000 monthly users
- 80% of developers use a recipe
- Our most popular recipes are Drupal 8, WordPress and Pantheon
- Slack community of over 1,000 developers
- Over 100 open source contributors
This data was last updated in early 2020.
- Lando is officially version 3. This reflects its Kalabox heritage which had two major versions.
- Lando was supposed to only be the code name for this project but it got popular too fast and the name stuck.
- Lando is the only local development solution that has a mascot.